Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Florida Sun Shine





Visiting the Senior Centers here in South Florida is amazing. The communities are surrounded by tropical gardens with waterfalls where the residents can walk and listen to the birds singing.  They have the opportunity to stroll outside.,   Being year round outdoor communities, the residents have the opportunity to going outside whenever possible to hear, feel and see nature, while feeling and absorbing the sub-tropic breezes. This daily opportunity, to observe and feel ones surroundings, is vital to life.
I found myself, similar to when I visit my Dad, sitting with the residents.  Listening to their stories I heard the joy in their voices when they shared in their life’s adventure with me.  Our Senior Citizens are walking encyclopedias.  Please, I ask, just listen, and you will hear.




After my visits, I rode my bike to the Blowing Rocks Preserve. This is a magnificent barrier island sanctuary located on Jupiter Island, between the Atlantic Ocean and the Indian River Lagoon. Blowing Rocks protects a variety of natural habitats, including beach dune, coastal strand, mangrove wetlands, tropical hammock and oak hammock. Its rocky Anastasia limestone shoreline is the largest on the Atlantic coast. During extreme high tides and after winter storms, seas break against the rocks and force plumes of saltwater up to 50 feet skyward, an impressive sight for which the preserve was named.
Just knowing that during the summer months sea turtles nest at night on the northern section of the preserve beach and sometimes can be spotted in the water during the day, I just had to go see.  Arriving just at high tide,it was fantastic, but no sea turtles.


In Juno Beach, I did happen upon a “Florida Powder Day”. With a storm out in the Atlantic someplace causing huge waves, and high winds, the surf boards, wave rides, kite rides . . . any one and anything with a water toy were out. It was so fun just sitting on the beach taking pictures of these adventure seekers. The riders claim this is easy on the shoulders, but tough on the lower back and knees.







This . . . looks like fun!!








Saturday Night I attended the Little Festival in Abacoa ,  What fun.  A festival worthy of the Northend of Boston with its food vendors, fun rides for the young and that young at heart.  His festival’s original vision was to create an experience rich in Italian culture celebrating the contributions of great Italians through food, music, art and tradition. Today it stays dedicated to encouraging the importance of family and community forever mindful of the hardships that their Italian ancestors endured in migrating to this great country.











That was Saturday, today is Sunday.

Today I drive to John MacArthur Park, the only state park in Palm Beach County, nestled on a barrier island, it encompasses 325 acres, which includes a mangrove fringed estuary, and coastal hardwood forests. This is an "island in time" preserving the lush and diverse subtropical coastal habitats that once covered southeast Florida. Visiting here I explored nearly two miles of pristine beach and swam in the clear blue waters of the Atlantic. There are shaded nature trails, a bird and butterfly walk, an estuary and kayaking to Munyon Island was a true understanding of "the Real Florida".

This weekend, that started out on such a positive note ended tragically. I had visited four senior centers here in the Palm Beach area, met very nice people, shared heat warming stories, and discovered “Power Days in South Florida".

Black Mark on my wonderful weekend, someone broke into my trusty SUV and stole my cell phone, the GPS that drove that drove me crazy – he/or they can have that, my eye glasses and the worst of it, my gorgeous sunglasses. They’re both prescription . . . hope they have my quirky vision! And to top it off, my Andrea Borcelli CDs!

The adventure continues - Happy travels
Sandy