Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Albuquerque, New Mexico

La Mesa Presbyterian Church

Today I am heading for Albuquerque visiting my friend Trey. Arriving at his house, I excitedly discover I am to help decorate the Christmas trees. Yes, two trees! He has one for the beautiful and treasured ornaments and one for the most bizarre. Trey is the Reverend of La Mesa Presbyterian Church and every year he has a Christmas party for the parishioners of his parish who work for the church. They are asked to bring what they consider the most awful or bizarre ornament and during the Christmas party they vote on the worst, and I will admit, I discovered a fine collect of bizarre ornaments collected over the years.
While in Albuquerque I drop in at the New Mexico Alzheimer’s Association District Office and meet the wonderful people working there.  After giving them an accounting of my trip so far, replenishing my supply of handouts, I am off.  It’s rewarding visiting these offices knowing how far I have driven, I have such a rewarding feeling of accomplishment. 


Albuquerque Christmas and Chili Ristas

FYI −Albuquerque was once an uncharted territory sought after by explorer Francisco Vázquez de Coronado who was in search of what proved to be a highly elusive legend - the Golden Cities of Cíbola, but instead he found vast, beautiful landscapes and a rich Pueblo heritage.






San Felipe De Neri - Oldest Church in Albuquerque has continuously served the community without interruption since 1706. Originally founded and served by the Franciscan Friars, this parish church has been served successfully by the secular clergy of Durango, Mexico since 1817. The Jesuit Fathers and Brothers 1868 and since 1966 has been administered by the secular clergy of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe.



New Mexico has 26 Scenic Byways ranging from 4 miles to 600 miles in length passing through an astounding variety of geography and terrain.  There are 19 traditional communities of Native Americas called Pueblos recognized worldwide for their adobe buildings called pueblos and 3 Indian Reservations managed by Native American tribes under the US Department of Interior's Bureau of Indian Affairs. On my trip to Farmington tomorrow, I will drive through the Jemez Pueblo, the Sandia Pueblo, the San Felipe, and Navajo Nation


 
Tomorrow I am off to Farmington, New Mexico traveling past the Jemez Pueblo and into the Navajo Nation.


Happy Travels
Sandy